openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does Pootle have comments?
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:27:21 GMT
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Aivaras Stepukonis
<astepukonis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I appreciate your points and suggestions. Help is help!
>
> Still, if one looks at the situation in a more structural way, some
> questions that are fostered by the lack of visual context while translating
> would be best answered by creating work condition wherein they do not arise
> to begin with. We do need a way to do in-place translation right in the UI.
> A lot of questions would not be there to begin with.

That would help many of the questions, yes.  But I think even if a
translator was looking at the dialog with choices for "emboss" versus
"engrave" it might still be unclear what they meant.

But I do appreciate how powerful it would be if we could do in-place editing.

I wonder if another approach might be easier?  Is it possible at all
to generate a web page (HTML) that is approximately the same UI as a
menu or a dialog or a message box in OpenOffice?  Even if it is not
"pretty", if such a web page was accurate, then it might be easier to
link them (via HTML) to the correct place in Pootle.

-Rob