openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Language Variables as Constants...
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 14:33:49 GMT
It is quite disheartening to find out that some menu item
titles/descriptors are used in several locations as one and the same
string assuming that the linguistic expression in those locations can
remain unchanged (constant). Unfortunate, this is an English-centric
assumption.

What has a constant linguistic form in English (thus allowing its
repetition across the UI without the need to adapt) may actually have a
variable linguistic form in another language (in my case, it's
Lithuanian). Repeating such strings in the UI puts a local translator in
a very uncomfortable position because what looks correct in one place
may turn out to have an incorrect grammatical form in another.

I've given an example of this in an earlier e-mail.

Aivaras