openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: +oswmg||Formula
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:51:08 GMT

2013.09.03 19:36, Regina Henschel rašė:
> Hi Aivaras,
>
> Aivaras Stepukonis schrieb:
>> The expression "+oswmg||Formula" occurs both in
>>
>> Writer > View > Toolbars > Formula
>>
>> and
>>
>> Writer > Table > Formula.
>
> The commands are identical. Both are command '.uno:InsertFormula'. The
> string is bound to the command and therefore the string is the same.
I am not a programmer and therefore cannot comment on the program's
inner technical workings and limitations.

>> In Lithuanian, I need to use two different grammatical endings for these
>> two instances and, of cause, I cannot accomplish this because it is one
>> and the same string.
>
> What is the reason, why do you need two different strings? It is in
> both cases a simple menu item.
As an object it may be one and the same, but it is being address through
a language that may in fact pay attention to the shifting environment in
which that object is being addressed.

Context 1: Writer > View > Toolbars > Formula. Proper Lithuanian
translation would be this: Rodyti > Priemonių juostas ("-as" =
accusative) > Sprendinio ("-io" = genitive). "Sprendinio" is in the
genitive case because it refers back to "Priemonių juostas", meaning
something like "[Toolbar] of/for Formula", the part in brackets being
assumed.

The main thing to learn from this is that, in Lithuanian, there is a
grammatical connection between "View", "Toolbars" (which are viewed),
and "Formula" (which is an attributive adjective for a "toolbar").

Context 2: Writer > Table > Formula. In this particular instance,
"Formula" should be translated by "Sprendinys" ("-ys" = nominative)
because it is preceded by a noun requiring no grammatical adjustment.

As a result, context 1 needs the genitive case, context 2 the nominative
case. A word in the nominative case when it should have been in the
genitive looks like a mistake. I am very uncomfortable with this state
of affairs...

>> In the future, I would be nice two have two strings instead of one.
>
> I see no way to provide different strings, because the context is the
> same, in both cases 'swriter'.
Contexts are make up of sub-contexts and it is the latter, not the
former, that may be the determining factor in deciding why a certain
ending, tense, case, gender, number, you name it!, is the proper
translation of a short phrase.

If there is no technical means to accommodate languages in UI without
crippling them (to a lesser or greater degree), than, oh well, there is
none. My intention is to bring this issue up for constructive discussion
as well as to contribute our general awareness of the cultural
differences that are there in the world for real.