openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: +oswmg||Formula
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:21:36 GMT
2013.09.03 23:24, Regina Henschel rašė:
> Hi Aivaras,
>
> Aivaras Stepukonis schrieb:
>>
>> 2013.09.03 19:36, Regina Henschel rašė:
>>> Hi Aivaras,

>>> The commands are identical. Both are command '.uno:InsertFormula'. The
>>> string is bound to the command and therefore the string is the same.
>> I am not a programmer and therefore cannot comment on the program's
>> inner technical workings and limitations.
>
> It describes the current design. It does not mean, that it has to be
> this way forever.

>>> What is the reason, why do you need two different strings? It is in
>>> both cases a simple menu item.
>> As an object it may be one and the same, but it is being address through
>> a language that may in fact pay attention to the shifting environment in
>> which that object is being addressed.
>>
>> Context 1: Writer > View > Toolbars > Formula. Proper Lithuanian
>> translation would be this: Rodyti > Priemonių juostas ("-as" =
>> accusative) > Sprendinio ("-io" = genitive). "Sprendinio" is in the
>> genitive case because it refers back to "Priemonių juostas", meaning
>> something like "[Toolbar] of/for Formula", the part in brackets being
>> assumed.
>>
>> The main thing to learn from this is that, in Lithuanian, there is a
>> grammatical connection between "View", "Toolbars" (which are viewed),
>> and "Formula" (which is an attributive adjective for a "toolbar").
>
> That is interesting. I would have never seen it that way. We in German
> interpret the items more like separate headings.
>
> If needed we can easily combine words. In this special case we could
> use 'Rechenleiste' (Google translates this to 'formulė Baras' in
> Lithuanian), and we indeed use 'Rechenleiste' in the extended tip.
There are ways to work around the situation in Lithuanian, too, but they
are what they are - workarounds. And the linguistic outcome of such
workarounds is a general impression of unnaturalness and artificiality
in the Lithuanian translation that is alienating for the end user. It
may be so because the Lithuanian language requires a greater degree of
interconnectedness than some other languages. German might be more
tolerant in this respect and closer to English (which is a Germanic
language, after all).

And that Google translation... You know what it means? Well, it's a
"formula pub"! Not that driving a formula 1 car to a local pub to get a
drink may not involve a math formula of sorts...

>> Context 2: Writer > Table > Formula. In this particular instance,
>> "Formula" should be translated by "Sprendinys" ("-ys" = nominative)
>> because it is preceded by a noun requiring no grammatical adjustment.
>>
>> As a result, context 1 needs the genitive case, context 2 the nominative
>> case. A word in the nominative case when it should have been in the
>> genitive looks like a mistake. I am very uncomfortable with this state
>> of affairs...
>
> I understand your dilemma. What to do? You should at least document in
> Bugzilla, that there is a problem, and that there is something needed
> like a conditional translation.
I'll do this some time after September 6th.