openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ricardo Berlasso <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Language Variables as Constants...
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:25:45 GMT
2013/9/3 Aivaras Stepukonis <astepukonis@gmail.com>

> That is exactly my point - ethnocentrism. One determines that a certain
> term is a grammatical constant in his/her language and needs not being
> repeated. But that is just his/her language and his/her situation. Only
> after surveying a reasonable pool of experiences in other languages can one
> make a more general (communal) conclusion that helping oneself is also
> helping others.

While I completely understand your concern (I started a related thread(1)
some time ago about gender and variables) there is a big technical problem
here: if, for instance, the variable is used on an environment with several
"cases" (for example, the variable is accompanied by a verb that needs to
be declined on several genre and number cases), by eliminating the variable
and setting a new string for each case the work for the translators will be
heavily increased.

That said, maybe there are practical solutions to this kind of problems (I
do not have the technical background to even start thinking of them), but
for sure those solutions will not be easy to implement. I would love to see
this kind of problems solved, but IMO a lot of research is needed first.

Regards
Ricardo

(1) http://markmail.org/message/elhcwveyk4fh4i7w