openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From kj...@kemedhaug.net
Subject Re: What to do about ellipsis...
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 19:35:24 GMT
Siterer Tal Daniel <tal.reads@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM, <kjell@kemedhaug.net> wrote:
>
>> Do we use the ellipsis character in translations even when the English
>> source has three consecutive periods?
>>
>> Kjell
>>

> Tal: I don't think so, since this translation won't pass the tests, and
> will be marked with an error. I usually use "..."

I have also done that, but I thought I saw somewhere that the ellipsis
character was preferred.

Anyway, the automated tests are only for advisory reasons, right?
I mean, when language differences make different ways of expression
more natural, the human judgement should take precedence even if it
results in a change of such things as sentence count or other
punctuation change.

Kjell