openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Jon Peli Oleaga <oleaga...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Minor error in the help files in the English version?
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 23:54:56 GMT

> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:35:05 -0400
> From: meriodoc_brandybuck@yahoo.com
> To: l10n@openoffice.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Minor error in the help files in the English version?
>
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > Jon Peli Oleaga wrote:
> >> ki kibi 1024
> >> Mi mebi 1048576
> >> Gi gibi 1073741824
> >> Ti tebi 1099511627776
> >> Pi pebi 1125899906842620
> >> Ei exbi 1152921504606850000
> >> Zi zebi 1180591620717410000000
> >> Yi yobi 1208925819614630000000000
> >> I think that, in order to read them more easily, it would be better
> >> to insert the thousand separator.
> >> But, if it exists, this is not the error. I think that from the fifth
> >> item on the values are not correct.
> >
> > Interesting. Apparently OpenOffice is smart enough to do the right
> > thing, i.e.,
> >
> > =CONVERT_ADD(1/(1024*1024);"Eibyte";"byte")
> > gives
> > 1099511627776
> > which is the right result (1 Terabyte).
> >
> > I tried on a 64-bit system, not sure about what happens in a 32-bit
> > one so I won't open an issue right now. But indeed it has all to do
> > with the difference in how numbers are managed internally and how they
> > are displayed.
> >
> >> Any way, perhaps those values are used in some functions and, not
> >> being possible to work with numbers of more than 15 digits, the
> >> values already on the help files are the ones that must appear.
> >
> > Leaving them as they are won't be tragic. But you can insert commas
> > as thousands separators in your translation, this is just text.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Andrea.

> Andrea;
>
> I tried the same formula on a 32 bit windows xp system and recieved the
> identical result.
>
> Regards
> Keith

But
if you calculate the expressions

CONVERT_ADD(1;"Pibyte";"byte")
CONVERT_ADD(1;"Eibyte";"byte")
CONVERT_ADD(1;"Zibyte";"byte")
CONVERT_ADD(1;"Yibyte";"byte")

You
get the values

1.125.899.906.842.620
1.152.921.504.606.850.000
1.180.591.620.717.410.000.000
1.208.925.819.614.630.000.000.000

Which
efectibly are the values that appear on the help but not the number
of bytes of the Pibyte, Eibyte, Zibyte and Yibyte.

1.125.899.906.842.624
1.152.921.504.606.846.976
1.180.591.620.717.411.303.424
1.208.925.819.614.629.174.706.176

My
doubt was if in the help in the definition of Pibyte, Eibyte, Zibyte
and Yibyte it is better to put the values that, due to the rounding
error, are calculated in CALC or the exact number of bytes of those
units.
am not worried about the accuracy; it is more than  enough; and it is similar in other.spreadsheets.

But,
even if they do not coincide with the results from CALC, in the help
perhaps it would be more adecuate to give the correct definition of
Pibyte, Eibyte, Zibyte and Yibyte.
Best
regards
Jon