openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nahuatl, Mexico's language par excellence
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:44:21 GMT
José,

On 10-Jan-2014, at 06:20, Jose R R <jose.r.r@metztli.com> wrote:

> Niltze!
>
> I interested in adding Nahuatl, Mexico people's own and original language,
> to Apache OpenOffice. Is there anybody already working on it -- or I
> will be seeding this effort?
>
> Tlazohcamati [Thanks].
>

> Best Professional Regards.

This is great! As you may know, we've had here a brief discussion on indigenous languages
and AOO and the lack thereof. There have been, in OO's long history, sporadic interest in
the effort, but as far as I know, despite the numbers and the relative ease of the tasks,
there has not been a sustained effort.

It's even odder, given that governments (state) generally support efforts of this sort. And
it's not just about Nahuatl. One could also include México's other great indigenous languages,
as well as those of the Isthmus and South America. (I'd previously mentioned, for instance,
Quechua, but that was partly as an example and also because I knew that there was some interest
in the effort there. I've not followed up on it.)

> --
> Jose R R
> http://www.metztli-it.com

best