openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quechua? And other Native American languages?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:45:55 GMT

On 03-Jan-2014, at 11:05, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

>> Jan
>>
>> It is not a "should" or "should not" issue and declaring it so from some
>> high ground accomplishes little, except turn away those who otherwise would
>> be interested in volunteering their efforts. What counts is getting
>> things—efforts that can be sustained—moving. Whether the initial step is
>> taken by a translator or not, or by those who will continue the effort or
>> not, is immaterial to the outcome.
>>

> OK let me put it differently, being a danish translator I dont expect
> non-danish people to search for information about the danish language. This
> was the expectation I wanted to focus on. The translator should not expect
> others to search for this information.
>
> rgds
> jan I.

And I'll return the favour: What I would do—what I suggest any of us do—is simple inform
those previously interested, those working on related translations/localizations, that they
are invited to work on that here. Sometimes, these localization efforts are also government
funded. That has been my experience before, especially for indigenous languages. In that case,
informing the likely actors is still pretty simple and straightforward: emails. And should
it be that there is interest (among whatever parties), then using this interest as a kind
of launching pad for more development can help, especially if featured at significant events
and conferences.

is this clearer?
Louis