openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: National web sites
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 14:17:33 GMT
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that 4.1.0 is approaching for Norwegian too, we should refresh http://www.openoffice.org/no/
>
> Should we simply start with http://www.openoffice.org/nl-template/ ? Looks pretty up
to date except the social media logos missing.

Actually, the current base is here:

http://www.openoffice.org/xx/

That has the correct social media logos.  But the news stories on the
right are not current.

I wrote up some instructions/hints on how to translate the website.
It is HTML and MDText files, with no Pootle involved:

http://openoffice.apache.org/website-native.html

If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I can email you a
ZIP of the files.

Regards,

-Rob

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> 2. feb. 2013 kl. 02:43 skrev Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have not been able to follow-up on this.
>>> The Norwegian site is lacking sadly behind, not even promoting the newly released
3.4.1 :(
>>> Any updates on best-practice for keeping translations in sync, other than what
you described below?

>> There are a few approaches:
>>
>> 1) Some do a complete translation of the www.openoffice.org homepage,
>> as well as the core pages linked from that page.   For example, see
>> the Spanish homepage:  http://www.openoffice.org/es/
>>
>> 2) Some maintain a full website, but following a different design,
>> e.g., French:  http://www.openoffice.org/fr/ or German:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>>
>> 3) Some keep a very basic website, translating the home page only and
>> then linking to the English pages for the the deeper pages, e.g.
>> Brazilian Portuguese:  http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/
>>
>> There may be other approaches, but those are the ones that I see in common use.
>>
>> Personally, I think a nice approach is to start with approach 3), and
>> then to add to it over time to get something more like 1).
>>
>> If you or anyone is interested in this, let me know and I can put the
>> right files in place to translate.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> Any of the other Norwegian translators want to give it a try?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com

pretty bad shape. Most links and content in the left menu is outdated and/or wrong. I'd like
to start by moving the old homepage to /no/old and start a pure translation of the official
home-page into Norwegian, much like they have done for /es/. Then we can start filling in
relevant national content step by step.

to manage a translation, both initially and keeping it up to date? Or is it all manual?