openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: National web sites
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2014 02:11:22 GMT
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit short on time right now.
>
> Perhaps the Norwegian contributors should first discuss a strategy for the web site,
and then the first of us who volunteer some time will execute the plan.

> The old web site is sadly out of date and gives a bad impression for for users and sends
an unfortunate signal that "this product is not actively maintained". I'm tempted to start
afresh with a brand new copy of the site, starting with a front page translation, and then
adding more pages. Perhaps some of the old content may be re-used, but it will take some effort
to QA all of it, check whether listed companies still provide support etc.

It can always be done a part at a time.  The pages that are not
translated would then be in English.  For example, even just
translating two pages, the home page and the download page, will be an
improvement.

-Rob

> What do you Nowegian guys in here think?

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> 6. jan. 2014 kl. 15:17 skrev Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Now that 4.1.0 is approaching for Norwegian too, we should refresh http://www.openoffice.org/no/
>>>
>>> Should we simply start with http://www.openoffice.org/nl-template/ ? Looks pretty
up to date except the social media logos missing.

>> Actually, the current base is here:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/xx/
>>
>> That has the correct social media logos.  But the news stories on the
>> right are not current.
>>
>> I wrote up some instructions/hints on how to translate the website.
>> It is HTML and MDText files, with no Pootle involved:
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/website-native.html
>>
>> If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I can email you a
>> ZIP of the files.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> --
>>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

is in pretty bad shape. Most links and content in the left menu is outdated and/or wrong.
I'd like to start by moving the old homepage to /no/old and start a pure translation of the
official home-page into Norwegian, much like they have done for /es/. Then we can start filling
in relevant national content step by step.

for how to manage a translation, both initially and keeping it up to date? Or is it all manual?