openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quechua? And other Native American languages?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:53:15 GMT
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Wikipedia—and in this case I choose not to disbelieve it—about 8-10M
people speak (and implicitly use) Quechua, the ancient language of South America.

> Like other Native American languages, software support (inter alia) is lacking. However,
the regions where Quechua prevails is also where national bodies have expressed interest in
open source and even OpenOffice: Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, to name but three.

> Do we have a current localization effort for Quechua (or for that matter, for other Native
American languages? I once tried getting this going; but that was too early in the game.)
I don't know if there is an interest here, on this list, for a Quechua localization. I do
have contacts in those regions and they may be able to shed some light on whatever resources
could be brought to bear, if there is interest. Certainly, I believe there *ought* to be interest,
as having a productivity tool like AOO would make, as a start, the use of ICT easier.

I'd love to also see a translation into Hawaiian and Navajo, the two
indigenous languages in the US with greatest number of native
speakers.   Navajo is an Apachean language, so it is especially
appropriate.

-Rob