openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [www] [SUGGEST] Change "Native Language" to Dropdown/select box
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 20:23:47 GMT
Tal Daniel wrote:
> Update: I've sent a separate email with a test dropdown box for languages.

Looks good!

> I used only "Level 2" languages, as specified at the "Native Language" page
> (http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html).

That page is outdated. There are no "Level 1" and "Level 2" languages.

The best thing to do is to start with the 38 released languages, with
the same names we use in other.html. Some will have to be removed, some
will have to be added, and we'll bring this to the l10n list. But for
the 38 released languages we are sure that we have active volunteers on
the l10n list.

The other languages should be reachable through an "Other" link, last in
drop-drown, leading to the native-lang.html page.

To fix accessibility too, "Language:" could be turned into a simple link
("<a>...</a>" tag) pointing to native-lang.html too.

Note: the staging site
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/
can be published to the main site any time (if I need to change a word
in the homepage now, I will have to publish your changes too since we
are on the same file). So if something is just a test, it's better to
use the test area at http://www.openoffice.org/test/ ; in this case it's
OK to use staging, but keep in mind that it can be published any time by
any committer and that one may be forced to publish it in order to show
other changes, so it's better to keep it in good shape.

> + Since the NL page was last updated in 2010, don't you think that we
> should start with English only dropdown, and add languages by request of
> active translation communities?

This may be another option. But the released languages are probably a
better approximation, so that we can then check them and see what
languages need update.

Regards,
   Andrea.