openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:41:17 GMT
I'm not sure I'm understanding Marcus' concerns correctly.

We already have redirecting on the website. On the download page,
visitors from Lithuania are offered to download the LT version of AOO -
Lithuanian (Lietuvių) (lt) - as their first option. This is a good
practice as for the majority of visitors from Lithuania the LT version
of AOO is what their looking for.

It is the minor fraction of visitors/visits (i.e., when a Lithuanian
visitor wants to download a Chinese or English version) that is expected
to do an extra click and scroll, not vice versa.

The same thing with the website. The majority of visitors from Lithuania
will prefer the website in Lithuanian. No need to ask them if their do.
It is not politeness, it is necessary distraction.

My suggestion would be to implement a smooth redirect with the extra
clicking reserved for those rare occasions when the website in the
visitor's native language was not his/her intention.