openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Seth Flaxman <sflax...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject what language were OpenOffice manuals originally written in? (using OpenOffice l10n for a research project question)
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 03:39:02 GMT
Dear list,

I'm hoping you'll humor an outsider working on a natural language machine
learning question. If there's a more appropriate place to send my question,
I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

I've been using pairs of sentences from OpenOffice manuals in different
languages (see here: http://opus.lingfil.uu.se/OpenOffice.php and here for
a sample: http://opus.lingfil.uu.se/OpenOffice/de-en_sample.html) and I'm
wondering, were the OpenOffice manuals all originally written in English,
and then translated to other languages? Or might some of the manuals have
been originally written in German (from the StarOffice days?), and then
translated into English? And what is the process now--is English the source
language for translations?

Thanks in advance for your time and a great piece of software, which I use
daily!
Seth