openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website: switching language keeps relative page
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:08:00 GMT
Hi Stepukonis,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:49:30PM +0200, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> This is just an idea for those of you who may find it useful and have the
> skills to implement it.
>
> When one changes the language of the website one is taken to the home
> (topmost) page in that particular language. Wouldn't it be nice to retain
> the relative page when switching the language? Here's what I mean:
>
> Say, I'm on "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/" and decide to switch
> the language to German. As it is now, I'm taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/". In many cases, though, especially when
> comparing or cross-checking stuff, it would be more handy to be taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/download/". That is to say, by switching the
> language one gets to view the counterpart ("same") page in that language:
> e.g., if on ".../lt/download/", then to ".../de/download/"; if on
> ".../pt/why/", then to ".../hu/why/", etc.

This wouldn't be so straight-forward, because localized sites may have
localized folders; for example, in the Spanish site the folder are

https://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/ "descargar" = download
https://www.openoffice.org/es/por-que/ "por-que" -> ¿Por qué? = why

(This shows how precarious and primitive is the current way of
maintaining the whole thing, where some change in the English download
page may brake everything).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile