openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Correction to a UI string
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:38:53 GMT
I see your point and respectfully disagree, even if on different
grounds. It is superfluous in the sense of being pedantic, i.e. making
distinctions where they have no practical value.

In the UI menus and toolbars, there are many actions one can perform
"directly" on objects without the need to label them "direct." There
also many "indirect" actions one can perform "indirectly" on objects
without the need to label them "indirect." The distinction, although
semi-correct, does look like splitting hair.

If one were to get scholastic about the matter, it is not direct vs.
indirect, but simple vs. complex, i.e. one-step actions vs.
multiple-step ones. In causal terms, they're all as direct as it can
get. But that is precisely my point - there is not need to get
conceptually over-scrupulous in what is a practical environment of
clicking buttons and doing things. Less is more.

Regards,

Aivaras