openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website: switching language keeps relative page
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:28:11 GMT
Marcus, Ariel,

You seem to be referring to the same issue. Is it a good thing to
localize the names of folders and files? I am not a programmer but it
looks to me that it would create clutter, no?

I sometimes question myself as to that gray area wherein the local
environment transitions into the global and vice versa.

One possible criterion might be the technical side of things versus the
user side of things.

The folders and files of the website are not there to address the
visitors of the website interested in AOO as a software product. The
folders and files of the website are things "under the hood" and as such
should stay in English. And even English here is better understood not
as a vernacular, but a universally adopted tagging or marking technique.
So I would tend not to localize the names of folders and files.

Maybe we should come up with a guideline here for the common good of the
community, especially those, who would otherwise be subject to extra
work overcoming all that clutter of names?

Regards,
Aivaras