openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Translation of shortcut keys
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:42:08 GMT
> Is this on Windows or on Linux?

I am on Windows, but as a localizer I should address all the available
platforms.

> On Linux, keys are "translated" in the source code [...] You will need to provide a mapping
[...]

Here it is (following the German example):

  static const struct KeysymNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Lithuanian[] =
117     {
118     { XK_Control_L, "Vald" },
119     { XK_Control_R, "Vald (dešinysis)" },
120     { XK_Shift_L, "Lyg2" },
121     { XK_Shift_R, "Lyg2 (dešinysis)" },
122     { XK_Alt_L, "Alt" },
123     { XK_Alt_R, "Lyg3" },
124     { XK_Page_Up, "Psl. aukštyn" },
125     { XK_Page_Down, "Psl. žemyn" },
126     { XK_End, "Pab" },
127     { XK_Home, "Prad" },
128     { XK_Insert, "Terpti" },
129     { XK_Delete, "Trinti" },
130     { XK_Escape, "Gr" },
131     { XK_Right, "Dešinėn" },
132     { XK_Left, "Kairėn" },
133     { XK_Up, "Aukštyn" },
134     { XK_Down, "Žemyn" },
135     { XK_BackSpace, "Naikinti" },
136     { XK_Return, "Įvesti" },
137     { XK_slash, "Brūkšnys (dešininis)" },
138     { XK_space, "Tarpas" },
139     { SunXK_Stop, "Stabdyti" },
140     { SunXK_Again, "Kartoti" },
141     { SunXK_Props, "Savybės" },
142     { SunXK_Undo, "Atšaukti" },
143     { SunXK_Front, "Priešakin" },
144     { SunXK_Copy, "Kopijuoti" },
145     { SunXK_Open, "Atversti" },
146     { SunXK_Paste, "Įklijuoti" },
147     { SunXK_Find, "Rasti" },
148     { SunXK_Cut, "Iškirpti" },
149     { XK_minus, "-" },
150     { XK_plus, "+" }
151     };

> On Windows, the Windows API GetKeyNameTextW function is used.

That is not ideal. I think the names of keys in the UI should not be
dynamic just as the UI itself is not, and key names are part of it.
One's choice to control AOO in his or her native language should
override the linguistic contingencies of one's OS or hardware. One
learns to use AOO through a native language (key names included), one
memorizes it and talks about it in a native language. Both the UI and
Help files contain numerous references to key shortcuts that have in
fact been translated into native languages. And yet those very
references in many instances turn out to be wrong because the user's OS
or hardware overrides them. Translating key names and having them locked
to the language of UI would be a better idea.

> Side note, when starting a new thread, don't write the new message replying to an existing
one [...]

Thank you for the tip. I'll follow it in the future.

Regards,

Aivaras