openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Aivaras Stepukonis <astepuko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website: tweaking the look of it
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:18:51 GMT
While we're at it, a couple more suggestions for tweaking aesthetic
elements. Let's see how we feel about them.

1. Top news headline:

Before
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaamqngwml85bvg/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"

After
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ev8rs3eq3ntffh/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0"

Why: 1) with respect to the horizontal rulers (separators) encompassing
it vertically, the headline feels less claustrophobic, less "squeezed
in-between"; 2) the underline showing the text is a link is actually
better visible as it is not assimilated by the bottom ruler (the same
can be said about the bottom ruler - it retains better visibility); 2)
size-wise, the headline is less competing with the AOO logo, yet retains
its central position and distinctness.

What I did: font - Liberation Sans, size - 18pt, weight - bold, type -
underline.

2. .../download/ > right column > vertical spacing above the top heading
"Release Information":

Before "http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html"

After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/"

Why: by making the spacing above "Release Information" equal the
spacings above the rest of the headings in the same column a sense of
order and symmetry is strengthened (i.e., the geometry of the page
"rhymes" better).

What I did:
"http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/download/index.html?annotate=1653258&diff_format=h&sortby=date#l316"

3. Top seagull separator for the news section on the home page:

Before "http://www.openoffice.org/es/"

After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/"

Why: 1) the horizontal separator is not doing its job up there since
there is no preceding text; 2) in fact, what precedes it is another
vertical separator, i.e. the bottom ruler for the navigation bar; having
two horizontal separators in a stack is not ideal in terms of styling;
3) the separator pushes the text in the news column further down
increasing the need for scrolling down, the layout becomes less compact
and economic; 4) removing it allows the top heading of the news section
("Udine moves to OpenOffice, will save 360,000 Euro") to be aligned
vertically with "I want to learn more about OpenOffice", and this
positively affects the geometry of the layout.

What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
"http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"

Regards,
Aivaras