openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Website: tweaking the look of it
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:27:06 GMT
Am 01/20/2015 04:18 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> While we're at it, a couple more suggestions for tweaking aesthetic
> elements. Let's see how we feel about them.
>
> 1. Top news headline:
>
> Before
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaamqngwml85bvg/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"
>
> After
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ev8rs3eq3ntffh/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0"
>
> Why: 1) with respect to the horizontal rulers (separators) encompassing
> it vertically, the headline feels less claustrophobic, less "squeezed
> in-between"; 2) the underline showing the text is a link is actually
> better visible as it is not assimilated by the bottom ruler (the same
> can be said about the bottom ruler - it retains better visibility); 2)
> size-wise, the headline is less competing with the AOO logo, yet retains
> its central position and distinctness.
>
> What I did: font - Liberation Sans, size - 18pt, weight - bold, type -
> underline.

I understasnd your point. However, it's just a decrease of the font size.

What about to delete the line above the top news headline and to delete
the gray background color? Then the headline is standing above the nav
bar and - from an optical point of view - it's more space for it and to
the logo/text.

See "ooo.css", line 87:

#announce {
   height: 24pt;
- border-top: 1px solid #c6cbdd;
- margin: 0 0 0 0;
+ margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px
- background-color: #fbfcfd;
   padding: 0 0 0 0;
   color: black;
   font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Liberation Sans', FreeSans, sans-serif;
   font-size:18pt;
   text-align: center;
   font-weight: bold;
   clear: both;
}

> 2. .../download/ > right column > vertical spacing above the top heading
> "Release Information":
>
> Before "http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html"
>
> After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/"
>
> Why: by making the spacing above "Release Information" equal the
> spacings above the rest of the headings in the same column a sense of
> order and symmetry is strengthened (i.e., the geometry of the page
> "rhymes" better).

Yes, the vertical spacing could be removed.

> What I did:
> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/download/index.html?annotate=1653258&diff_format=h&sortby=date#l316"

You have inserted the CSS code directly into the HTML page. That's
working for sure. However, it would be better to place all CSS code in
the respective files. Both things are separated and can be much better
maintained in case of further changes.

In this case it would be "exception.css", line 300:

- .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; white-space:
nowrap; clear: none; }

+ .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; margin-top: -18px;
white-space: nowrap; clear: none; }

> 3. Top seagull separator for the news section on the home page:
>
> Before "http://www.openoffice.org/es/"
>
> After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/"
>
> Why: 1) the horizontal separator is not doing its job up there since
> there is no preceding text; 2) in fact, what precedes it is another
> vertical separator, i.e. the bottom ruler for the navigation bar; having
> two horizontal separators in a stack is not ideal in terms of styling;
> 3) the separator pushes the text in the news column further down
> increasing the need for scrolling down, the layout becomes less compact
> and economic; 4) removing it allows the top heading of the news section
> ("Udine moves to OpenOffice, will save 360,000 Euro") to be aligned
> vertically with "I want to learn more about OpenOffice", and this
> positively affects the geometry of the layout.

Indeed this would be good to do.

> What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"

And also here a solution in the "home.css" would be better.

My 2 ct.

Marcus