openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Alternative solution for Pootle registration troubles...
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 00:58:31 GMT
Ahmad,

Andrea is exercising oversight on the part of the Project Management Committee (PMC.) We have
to know who we give permission to Pootle. We have a similar approach to the Wikis. For the
code we actually vote in private to give people committers rights. This is standard practice
at the Apache Software Foundation. The mantra is Community over Code and in this way we foster
direct connections. We are also all volunteer.

We are willing to have the initial interaction assure that an individual is doing more than
one or two drive by changes.

I appreciate your eagerness and earnest desire to help.

Regards,
Dave

> On Feb 22, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Ahmad Alawsie <ahmad.united@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Firstly, I understand the spam concern, but I believe that can be stopped.
>
> If a traditional registration form was to be implemented, it would save a lot of time
for both the administrators and users, and allow efficient flow of data into the database
without manual use. Also, if the focus is on manually creating accounts, it wastes potential
time for other stuff that you, as admins, could be doing, rather than registering users onto
the database. In the case of spamming, or botting, there can be an ‘I AM NOT A ROBOT’
authenticator, which I am sure you have seen before online, where users need to pass the BOT
test to be able to submit the registration form. I also have asked people about what type
of registration form they would prefer if they were attempting to register on a particular
website. I had everyone telling me “seriously, why would I want admins to manually register
an account for me, that is a waste of time, and self-registering saves so much time”. So
what I am trying to say is that, like myself, people have suggested that they would be more
appealed to a self-registration user account system, and that there is a high chance that
people would lose appeal to the software/program/system and leave it.

> I hope you can understand my perspective, and perhaps see the sense in a traditional
registration system.

> Kind regards,
> Ahmad Alawsie

where you can see what I think could be done to smoothen the registration process for a Pootle
account.