openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ahmad Alawsie <ahmad.uni...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: ENCOUNTERED A UNWORKING BUTTON - IMPORTANT
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 20:33:21 GMT
Hi Andrea and all,

I must disagree to some extent with not recommending Google translate. Firstly, I wish to
state that I do not use Google Translate for entire translations, since it translates word
to word, and not based on the context of the actual phrase. However, I do believe it is useful
in the sense that it gives a word and other alternatives for the translated words, and as
an Arabic translator on this service, I have no issue with Google translate and would actually
like this shortcut button to function. This is for the same reasons I had stated in the previous
email in regards to this issue: time-efficient and is useful for word-to-word translations,
which will then allow the translator to translate further, based on the context of the phrase
that needs to be translated.

I hope you can understand what I am saying, and am looking forward to seeing that button actually
functioning, in order to boost efficiency of translation for a translator (contributor) like
myself. Thanks again and will look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,

Ahmad A

From: Andrea Pescetti<mailto:pescetti@apache.org>
Sent: 02 February 2018 08:32
To: l10n@openoffice.apache.org<mailto:l10n@openoffice.apache.org>
Subject: Re: ENCOUNTERED A UNWORKING BUTTON - IMPORTANT

Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> So I am attempting to click the “Google translate (EN->AR) button”, and
> I expect it to either open a new window directing me to the google
> translate page, or maybe a mini-window

Thanks for flagging this. The Google translate option came with a Pootle
update but was never configured. We do not recommend using Google
Translate since quality is better if you don't use it (and, if your aim
is consistency, Pootle will give suggestions by itself). Do you think it
would be really useful? At the moment is is an unused new feature that
you are seeing just because of a system update. But if you feel it would
be important we can look into it.

Regards,
   Andrea.