openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From "Lieven L. Litaer" <lieven.lit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OO in Klingon
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2019 12:57:26 GMT
Hallo Matthias,

(if we talk offlist, you can speak German to me)

> I really like the idea! This is ISO code tlh?

Yes, true.

> I was already planned for 2008 (but apparently not done):

Yes, it was also tried to contact the KLI in 2003, but they seemed not
so much interested. But as I said, a lot has changed since then, so
maybe it's worth a try.

> There are about 91,000 strings for the UI only:

Yes, I'm interested, but there a few things that one needs to accept:
a) this translation will certainly take a very long time. None of us
does this in their main time, so I guess the progress will certainly
take several months at least.

b) since Klingon vocabulary is not complete and a lot of things hard to
express, it is very certain that we will NEVER really reach 100%
translation done. If that's a hinder for the project, we shouldn't even
even try to begin with it, honestly.

For those reasons, I would suggest that whoever decides has to accept
that such a project will end up in an "almost-entirely" tanslated
project. It should be handled as an exception. I would certainly take
care for the fact that clearly everything visible is available in
Klingon, but there are certainly lots of strings that don't show up very
often (such as "an exceptional error has occured" or "this font is not
installed"), so those can surely be omitted.

So, turning the question back: Still interested? :-)

By the way, I am using my Klingon localization on my wiki about Klingon,
so you can check what that may look like. Go to the following website
and choose the language in the upper right corner:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/MainPage

Lieven.