openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Website – Download – Git hash
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2020 18:34:00 GMT
Am 21.02.20 um 12:16 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> Ideally, "hash" should be translated as it is what it is: a common
> English noun in what is otherwise a page in another language. In fact,
> "hash" is already used /and/ translated on the same page in the ensuing
> two lines ("Signatures and hashes […]"). A visitor who knows what "hash"
> means will find instances of it both translated and untranslated on the
> same page and will tend to interpret the situation as linguistic
> inconsistency and negligence.
>
> Overall, if we cling to the principle of AOO and its website being
> subject to localization, technical solutions should ensure the principle
> is upheld.
>
> Having said that, it is ultimately a matter of just how much resources
> we have and how we allocate them. It's a finite and contingent world.
> Marcus, your presence, expertise, and input, very much appreciated!

I'm waiting now since some days to get more feedback but I think there
is no one else speaking up.

The effort would be to do the following:

- update every release item of the release matrix
- extract the "SVN" and "Git hash" terms
- put these terms into the *.msg files for every language
- that needs to be translated into the respective language, otherwise
it's still in English and nothing is won ;-)
- create a logic to identify if the release is based on SVN or Git

IMHO it's way too much effort for to less benefit.

Sorry ;-(

Marcus