perl-asp mailing list archives

From "Jim Helm" <jjh...@att.net>
Subject RE: "virtual urls"
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:25:32 GMT
How about just making /lookup the page, instead of /lookup/index.asp.
You'll have to make sure /lookup is executed as an asp page ( <Location
/lookup> ... </Location> ), but once you have that, you can just get the
rest from the pathinfo piece of the uri.

Or you could just rename /lookup/index.asp to /lookup.asp and call it
via /lookup.asp/event/1234.  Slightly less "pretty" but functionally the
same, and it saves having to create a Location directive in your config
file.

Jim

   http://any.com/lookup/index.asp?event=1234

But I'd really like to be able to request it like this:

   http://any.com/lookup/event/1234

I've seen what I call "virtual urls" like this here and there, eg
amazon, and even got it going a couple years ago with perl/CGI.

However, using Apache-ASP the last URL above just returns 404 not found,
which sortof makes sense.

Is there a directive to tell Apache to look backwards (or whatever) in
the URL and resolve to use lookup/index.asp?

I'm sure it can be done somehow, but I'm not sure... maybe a special
<directory> directive?

Any tips appreciated!

Ellers