perl-asp mailing list archives

From Joshua Chamas <jos...@chamas.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache::ASP 2.35 bugfix release
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 20:33:50 GMT
Quentin Smith wrote:

> Hi-
> Before I upgrade my server, are you fairly confident that this release
> is completely backwards-compatible? I stretch Apache::ASP to its
> theoretical limits, and I don't have a development server to test the
> new version on. (perl -MCPAN -e'install Apache::ASP' && /sbin/service
> httpd reload && hope && pray :)
> --Quentin

Hey Quintin,

I would always advise to test software before using it in production.
You can do this on a production server by building a separate
apache/perl/mod_perl installation in directories like /usr/local/test/perl
& /usr/local/test/apache, and run the server on a non port 80 to see
your site(s) on.

That said 2.35 is a minor bug fix release, whereas 2.33 had a lot
of big changes internally, so you should be fairly safe.  I run
all releases of Apache::ASP in production before releasing them to CPAN,
but bugs do escape at times as is the nature of software.

If you don't want to live on the bleeding edge, then you might
wait some time after a release to see if other users report bugs.
This is what I do with all software except Apache::ASP :)

--Josh