perl-asp mailing list archives

From Ellers <ell...@iinet.net.au>
Subject "virtual urls"
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 08:02:23 GMT
Hi All

This is only partly an ASP question, but any help appreciated:

If I have a page like this:

   http://any.com/lookup/index.asp

I'd can easily request it like this:

   http://any.com/lookup/index.asp?event=1234

But I'd really like to be able to request it like this:

   http://any.com/lookup/event/1234

I've seen what I call "virtual urls" like this here and there, eg amazon, and even got it
going a couple years ago with perl/CGI.

However, using Apache-ASP the last URL above just returns 404 not found, which sortof makes
sense.

Is there a directive to tell Apache to look backwards (or whatever) in the URL and resolve
to use lookup/index.asp?

I'm sure it can be done somehow, but I'm not sure... maybe a special <directory> directive?

Any tips appreciated!

Ellers