perl-asp mailing list archives

From "timj_moore" <tim.mo...@formscape.com>
Subject BinaryWrite and SAFEARRAY equivalent
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:27:14 GMT
Hi,

I'm porting a Windows/IIS app to unix/Apache::ASP by using SWIG to
interface between C++ and Perl.

However, I've come across a situation where the Windows version
returns a VARIANT containing a SAFEARRAY via. COM to the IIS ASP
script (VBScript) and that's written out using BinaryWrite (which
takes a variant SAFEARRAY of unsigned bytes in windows). I assume IIS
uses SAFEARRAY to work out the size of the data it's going to write
because it has structure members specifying the number of elements,
other than that it's just being used as a wrapper around a binary
data buffer.

The problem is, how do I write something similar in unix?

I can return a simple character array buffer (a char*), but how would
BinaryWrite in Apache::ASP know how large this buffer is?

I notice the example for BinaryWrite sets ContentLength which isn't
documented. If I set this will BinaryWrite only write that specific
amount of data? If so, that would do what I need.

Or, do I need to get my data into some kind of perl array structure
which I assume contains the length of data? I'm not very hot on perl
itself.

Tim.