perl-asp mailing list archives

From Josh Chamas <j...@chamas.com>
Subject Re: RFC: subroutines & script recompilation
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:44:50 GMT
ggincius  wrote:
>>What about making this a default, and let the user configure if
>
> the
>
>>"old" method is preferred or the new one?
>

> I need an option for "old" method too.

If you are talking about turning off the recompile behavior for
scripts with subs in them, I do not intend to create a config for
this as this is a matter of correctness and not tunable parameter.

In effect, having the system not cache compilations for such scripts,
will promote good behavior according to the style guide.

Please note that Apache::ASP does not spend much time compiling
scripts usually. ( I see usually .01 seconds for script compilation ).
If you have a site with exceedingly long scripts that have named
subroutines in them, then you might arguably need this config.
If this is the case or another arguable scenario, then let's
reconsider getting you a config for better performance.  Generally
I don't like to rarely used configs to the system as each config
will incur a runtime performance penalty for all users regardless
of whether they use it.

Regards,

Josh