perl-asp mailing list archives

From "Uwe Riehm" <u.ri...@tbooker.com>
Subject AW: Two suggestions
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:19:55 GMT
Hi Josh,

> I have added this CookieDomain setting to my development version 2.55,
> which I can send you if you would like.  I probably won't publish 2.55 for
> some time as I just released 2.53 to CPAN.

Cool. Makes me happy when other people share my ideas... :)))

> > Second one: avoid unecessary sending of cookies
> > Well I have to admit that I don't know the reason for that particular behavior of
Apache ASP. Maybe  there is
> > a reason why it is done that way.
> > But first let me describe my problem: If a user declines to accept a cookie the
session id is parsed into
> > the source which is very fine. But on every consecutive page a cookie is tried to
be sent again. I can tell

> You can disable the use of cookies for session id passing by using the
> SessionQueryForce setting.  This is a relatively new feature.

I think I didn't explain very well what I meant because I guess you misunderstood me.
I know and have already tested this SessionQueryForce setting which works very well.
In general I like the way Apache ASP is using to store the session id information, which
means if the user accepts a cookie it is stored there and if not it is stored in the urls
by parsing the scripts.
BUT: if a user declines to accept cookies it is stored in the urls and additionally every
time
the user clicks on one of those links / urls inside a script and calls another script a
new cookie is tried to set. And this is the thing that can be very annoying - at least if

the user wants to be informed about every cookie that is set on his computer.
Therefore my idea / suggestion was to just set a cookie once - when the session is started
and afterwards just take the seesionid from the cookie sent back or take it from the url.
If you have a look at what Apache ASP does if it can sucessfully send a cookie: it does not
send it anymore later on in the same session!

Has that been a better explanation of my problem / idea?

Greetings,

 Uwe