perl-asp mailing list archives

From Skylos the Doggie <sky...@doglover.com>
Subject Re: Newbie alert, why this does not work
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:15:19 GMT
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, brentatkerson wrote:

> Okay, I seem to have missed the boat, I still cannot figure this out,
> think I still have syntax wrong.  I have been to the link you provided
> and still cannot get rid of that long number.  Could you provide another
> hint to at least get me over the edge?

try 'scalar localtime time'.  localtime outputs a 'human readable' type
string when you call it in scalar context, which the scalar function
forces.

You really need to learn perl.

Skylos

> --- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, "Fagyal, Csongor" <concept@c...>
> wrote:
> > brentatkerson wrote:
> >
> > >Okay, this is the result  Hello World164691910332731 .
> > >
> > Oh... well :-)
> >
> > >  Making
> > >progress, but how/where would a newbie go to find the localtime
> time
> > >thing?  I think that is what I need most is a comprehensive list
> of
> > >objects and events so I know what I have to choose from.
> > >

> > Apache::ASP "uses" the built-in perl functions, plus extends them
> with
> > some objects/events/etc. The later group is discussed at the
> > www.apache-asp.org page, while docs on the former you should find
> at
> > www.perldoc.com. I'd recommend reading
> > http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlfunc.html
> >
> > Here you will also find localtime and time (and will probably
> understand
> > why you got that big number :-)).
> >
> > Regards,
> > - Cs.

- skylos@doglover.com
- The best part about the internet is nobody knows you're a dog.
  (Peter Stiener, The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
- Dogs like... TRUCKS!  (Nissan commercial, 1996)
- PGP key: http://dogpawz.com/skylos/mykey.asc