perl-asp mailing list archives

From Josh Chamas <j...@chamas.com>
Subject Re: global.asa, startup.pl, httpd.conf, or module
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:55:59 GMT
ter_perl wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP.  After initially
> getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl, and
> Apache::ASP.  After poking around in each for a while, I decided to
> go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl scripts.
>
> Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with which
> files I should be storing stuff.  Here is what I'm doing now:
>
> httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry
>
> startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent DB
> connection.  Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
> consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
> variables.
>
> global.asa : Empty!
>
> It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task.  Is it
> necessary, desirable, to use both?  I'm a bit of a newbie here so
> any suggestion will be helpful!

Yes, use startup.pl for mod_perl specific configuration like preloading
of Apache::DBI and DBI and your own module, but use global.asa to
configure things like Script_OnStart routine which will be run prior
to the start of each ASP script, but with access to ASP objects.

Generally, the port from a CGI script is easy, just wrap <% %> around
each one and voila! its an ASP script.

> BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you!  I've never
> even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
> simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power of
> Perl.

Thanks & enjoy!  If you create anything for http://apache-asp.org/sites.html
just send them to to list.

Regards,