perl-asp mailing list archives

From Josh Chamas <j...@chamas.com>
Subject Re: Caching Apache::ASP-generated pages
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:57:58 GMT
Philip Mak wrote:

> But then I realized that the backend, while it always generates the
> same content for a given URL (unless the administrator updates the
> database), generates different advertising depending on the country of
> the remote user (determined via Geo::IP) and how many pages they have
> viewed so far!
>
> So, I don't think front-end caching would work here, since it would
> break the advertising rotation.

Right.

> Any ideas on what to do? Off the top of my head, I can think of the
> following options:
>
> * Buy a separate database server.

and/or upgrade your current server.  This is usually the easiest step though,
adding a database server.  It may be that much of your load is generated by
your database, in which case you might need to do some database optimization.

> * Break up the Apache::ASP pages into components that are cached via
>   $Response->Include; not as good as caching the whole page via the
>   frontend, but should help.

Yep, smart caching here can go a long way.

> * Have the backend generate a placeholder for the advertisements,
>   allow the frontend to cache the backend's responses, but write a
>   module in C on the frontend that inserts the advertisements. (Sounds
>   efficient from a technical standpoint, but painful to do considering
>   I have no experience writing Apache modules. I'm also not sure how
>   to make a filtering module work together with the cache, or if it's
>   even possible.)

I would not even go there. :-)

> * Benchmark performance of the ASP scripts to see if there's any easy
>   optimizations I can perform.

Yes!

Regards,

Josh