perl-asp mailing list archives

From Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tcha...@arx.gr>
Subject Re: Load.pm patch
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:11:00 GMT
Joshua Chamas wrote:

>Quoting Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tchatzi@arx.gr>:
>

>>Hi list.
>>
>>Since I'm using Apache::ASP::Loader to precompile scripts and doing so
>>via NFS, it kind of took a long time.
>>Most of it was spent not compiling scipts, but traversing files and
>>directories which is still painfully slow on NFS.
>>Since a few of them contained about 2500 images, there should be no need
>>for Loader to look into them, so I added an argument to Loader
>>``Ommit_Dirs'' whose value should be a reference to an array containing
>>dirs the compiler should ommit.
>>
>>I think it is reasonably useful and I *suppose* I haven't messed up, but
>>please look into it if you're interested.
>>

>It does seem useful.  My work around before has been to programmatically call
>Apache::ASP->Load on only the directories that I want to be read fully.  Can
>this approach work for you without adding this config?  Otherwise let me

It could, but I'm probably too lazy to do it like that :)
You see, the directory structure I have is like this:
htdocs/
    domain1
    domain2
       images/lots_of_images
       irrelavant_files/lots_of_html
    domain N
etc, so I feed the Loader the directive to compile all asp's in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/, which all more or less have some scripts to
compile in them.
Problem is, they also have directories I wouldn't want the Loader to
spend time looking in.
So instead of repeating the directive N times, I thought of this. I'm
sure all of us can live without it, but it did cut 40 secs out of the 3
minutes it takes to recompile all the scripts by just listing 3
directories in there.

>consider your patch when I get back from vacation.  I would think another name
>like ExcludeDirs might be better, but I'll check it out for another possible
>solution as well.

I suppose ``ExcludeDirs'' is a better name...
OTOH, if you want to avoid another configuration directive, it isn't
really a problem.
Have a nice vacation !

Regards,
Thanos Chatziathanassiou