perl-asp mailing list archives

From Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com>
Subject Re: Apache::ASP locking up
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:03:42 GMT
Josh Chamas wrote:

> What is the state of the system when it locks up?

These systems are installed in schools, so they're only being used from
roughly 7am to 4pm.  This problem is happening within that window, while
it is being used during the day.  We have never seen it lock up in this
way over night.

> Is the machine under load

To the extent that 5500 hits per day is "load", yes.  :)

There seems to be a loose correlation between the problem and load: this
site is one of the heaviest users.  We have heavier users, though, that
aren't seeing the problem.

> is a process spinning out of control,

We don't notice a busied out CPU, if that's what you mean.  And, I
wouldn't think anything is truly deadlocked, since all it takes is
removing the ASP state directory to fix the problem.

> is there any errors in the error_log that look interesting?

No, but then we send a lot of stuff to error_log ourselves.  And, we
don't have Debug turned up.  Should we?

> Does restarting the web server help things without removing the /tmp/asp
> entirely,

No.

> or is removing that directory the only fix?

Yes.

> If the details
> you provided about /tmp/asp are before removing but after a freeze,
> then I would say there is nothing that looks out of the ordinary there
> that would raise concern on my side.

Hmmm...  Would having the files help?