perl-asp mailing list archives

From Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com>
Subject Re: UTF-8 HOWTO
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:15:44 GMT
Joshua Chamas wrote:
> Do you know why it is that "use utf8" is needed
> at the top of each script?

No, I'm not sure.  At this point, I just know that there are pages
where, if I remove the pragma, the UTF-8 characters get munged.  I
haven't tried to localize the Perl constructs in which this happens.

> What precisely were the problems that you were running into without this
> setting?

The most common symptom was what looked like double UTF-8 encodings.
That is, Unicode characters that should have encoded as 2 bytes in UTF-8
were showing up as 4 bytes.  I didn't try to reverse the double
conversion to make sure this is what was happening, but I can't think of
a more likely explanation for the symptom.

> The opportunity here is that we could automatically add something like this
> to the top of each page.

I'll consider investigating deeper.