perl-asp mailing list archives

From Tom Haapanen <t...@motorsport.com>
Subject Re: Apache::ASP with Worker MPM
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:57:55 GMT
On 2006-12-05 08:15, Fagyal Csongor wrote:
> Usually a webpage (at least in our case) consists of the main .asp
> (.pet, etc.) file plus the additional stuff, like .js, .css and image
> files. The ration is usually around 1:10 (of course that can vary a
> lot). It is a huge benefit that these hits do not hit the heavyweight
> mod_perl server. Also, the front proxy server can have keepalive
> switched on, runs threaded, very lightweight, only using small memory
> footprint as compared to the huge mod_perl server.
>
> Also keep in mind that you will end up having a lot of mod_perl-ed
> Apache instances running unnecessarily because of (realtively) slow
> clients, which keep your Apache waiting. Again, this is a typicla
> reverse proxy configuration.
>
> Before we started to use this config, we always had memory problems,
> having 200+ Apache instances running, which is an overkill. Now we can
> serve dynamic hits with only 30 Apache1.3 instances, while having
> somewhere around 400 Apache2.0 available connections.
You are starting to convince me.  : )

Now there is some static content that I want to control access to -- but
I presume that I can do that in the Apache2 front end, passing those
requests to Apache1.3?

The 15:1 connection:Apache1.3 process ratio is certainly very
attractive.  How many threads per process are you running on the Apache2
front end?

> Even though I do not know your application, I am pretty sure this
> would be a possible alternative for you.
>
> See this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_proxy
>
> There are many white pages and how-to-s on this subject around. I can
> also give you an example httpd.conf snippet if you are interested.
I'll do some reading, but sample reverse proxy httpd.conf would be much
appreciated -- thanks.

Tom