perl-asp mailing list archives

From Josh Chamas <j...@chamas.com>
Subject Re: Migrate existing Apache::ASP code from mod_perl to mod_fcgid?
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 17:01:11 GMT
On 5/21/14 11:45 PM, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

> It has been a while.
> Josh it is great you a here .

Thanks, its good to be back!

> After Warren took the time to compare Dancer to Apache::ASP i had to look into
> the framework.
>
> Just read the Cookbook .
> It seems like the Dancer is following the famous MVC/Ruby on Rails where it can.
> Routing,Layouts,DSL (OK ,Ruby is a DSL in a way by itself).
>
> Apache::ASP is more like php in old days ,put a page and it will work.

KISS!  I love things that just work too!

> I still think that Apache::ASP has it's place.Not just for legacy.
> Putting a .asp file and have it work is an advantage.
>
> It is a good idea to have a module/method be called with routing.
> I know I miss it a lot for AJAX and data processing requests.

You know I have not much followed the routing paradigms.  To me it seems that
this would be an area I would have solved with a mod_rewrite or a mod_perl
handler, changing up the URL destination on the back end.  But that is old
school me.  I wonder if Apache::ASP were to be made to work with something like
Plack, if it would pick up some routing potential on the way (or maybe just a
Plack way of doing things?)

> The most problem with Apache::ASP for by now is that it is tied to mod_perl
> with it's module reloading ,memory hogging problems.

Yes, always been a problem, but memory is so cheap! :)

It used to be that throwing up a mod_proxy in front of mod_perl was the best way
to limit the memory issues (as well as some preload of Apache::ASP in the parent
httpd process), but these days it seems that having an nginx in from of a
mod_perl apache would be better, and limit the # of processes there.

> So I will be glad to invest some time in helping porting Apache::ASP and
> introduce whatever is missing ,at least for me.
>
> Evgeny

Thanks!

Josh