perl-asp mailing list archives

From Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com>
Subject Re: Migrate existing Apache::ASP code from mod_perl to mod_fcgid?
Date Thu, 22 May 2014 18:50:28 GMT
On 5/22/2014 00:45, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

> It seems like the Dancer is following the famous MVC/Ruby on Rails where
> it can.

Dancer is actually a Perl reimplementation of a Ruby framework called
Sinatra.  (Get it?  Dancer?  Sinatra?  Ahahaha.)

Dancer is very much *not* MVC, only V.

The problem with MVC systems is that they only work when you can write
your M's and C's in the same framework, or connect directly to them.
They also presume that there are M's and C's to be had in the first
place.  I suspect a lot of "MVC" apps out there are actually contorted
designs, twisting themselves into the rigid MVC container.

Apache::ASP and Dancer are both policy-free, in that they don't tell you
how to design your app.  They just give you a bag of tools and say, "Go
to it!"  For the sort of web app that doesn't fit well-established
categories -- blogs, CRUD editors, etc. -- that's exactly what I want.
Other examples are node.js, Nitrogen, Mason+Poet, and straight PHP.

Counterexamples are Rails, Catalyst, Drupal, Zope...  These all are more
of a Framework-with-big-F.  They are prescriptive, telling you, "Build
your app this way and it will be a lot easier."  True only if your app
speaks the framework's design language natively.