phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: best development methodology for Apache git?
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 00:24:28 GMT
I'm a bit late to this party. In fact I asked James the exact same thing offline and missed
that the discussion is already going on.

It seems we should start with doing this the "HBase-way". I.e. make patches, attach then to
the jira.
That way the jira/Apache-git is a full record of what happened and we do not rely to two copies
of the source (Apache and GitHub), of which one might be behind.

That leaves some power of git untapped (that even an oldfart like me is beginning to appreciate),
and we should probably address that into the future.

So I'd vote for (1) patches on jira, (2) reviews on review board when needed, (3) no mandatory
git hub involvement.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
To: "dev@phoenix.incubator.apache.org" <dev@phoenix.incubator.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:47 PM
Subject: best development methodology for Apache git?

I know you HBase guys use svn as your source of truth, but Phoenix is using
git. With our old git repo which was hosted on github, we'd typically do
work locally and then send a pull request to the source-of-truth github
repo. That way others could comment on the pending commit before it was
pulled in. Pulling it in could be done with a single click by someone with
write privileges.

Now, though, our source-of-truth is *not* on github, but on a git repo
hosted by Apache. It's only mirrored to github in a read-only manner. Plus,
it may be lagging behind the source-of-truth repo.

What's the best, recommended methodology and ui to use for getting
 feedback
pre-commit?

Thanks,
James