phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Yates <jesse.k.ya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: best development methodology for Apache git?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:56:18 GMT
Git is just a source control system - it was github that lead to the
prevalence of the pull requests and merges.

Whatever we do for reviews, we basically need to use git like svn and fully
sync the repo each time, apply the patch, and then commit. Git hosting just
means ppl work in the same source control as the project and its easier to
do things like feature branches.

For reviews/discussion, Id recommend we do one of two things:
1. Do just what HBase does and post patches on Jiras, discuss there, and
take any extra discussion to review board. This makes it really easy to
follow for any downstream projects. However, review board only works on
trunk - patches on older versions tend to be a bit harder to review.

2. Use jiras for discussion and then do reviews on pull requests against
the apache github mirror. It can be a little out of date, but tends to be
pretty close. The advantage being that can have reviews more easily against
any branch. Once the review is good, the comitter would download the patch,
attach it to the jira (so downstream projects can keep track of the jiras
and their patches) and the commit it. I've heard of projects doing this,
but can't recall the exact names right now.

I'm leaning towards (2), but think either would work fine. Its just been a
pain in the past for HBase when reviewing large 0.94 patches to have to
manually review the patch, rather than use a really review tool; using pull
requests would solve this, but adds a little complication to the process
(though people still do pull requests against HBase sometimes, so maybe not
so hard to figure out?)

Just my $0.03

--j

PS we should also consider getting something like the HadoopQA bot going
for phoenix too