phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Phoenix use of HBase WALs
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:52:14 GMT
Hey Folks!

Can someone give me a few pointers on what Phoenix needs from the HBase WAL?

Looks like the docs are all user-facing, so they skip things like how
Phoenix's parts fit into HBase. I'll start looking at code, but I'd rather
hear directly from y'all than just make my own guesses.

A pointer to a design doc or some JIRAs would be great.

Background: I'm in the process of refactoring the HBase wal internally
(HBASE-10378). I've run into two major issues.

1) I'd like to make some changes to our Coprocessor limited APIs around
WALs. I want to figure out what parts of this I can alter without overly
burdening Phoenix. Even if the changes can't land in HBase 0.98.x I'd like
to get an idea in advance of how they'd impact Phoenix moving to an
eventual HBase 1.0+

2) I've already found some changes I'm planning for
InterfaceAudience.Private classes within HBase that will break at least
current Phoenix tests. This second point makes me very nervous. I'd prefer
not to re-scope all of HBase's WAL stuff to be non-Private.

--
Sean