Good idea, Ng. The UPSERT SELECT command doesn't use MR, it uses HBase APIs. It'd be interesting to see which way is fastest between regular Phoenix APIs vs our MR integration vs our Spark integration. Not 100% sure if these integrations support UPSERT SELECT without some minor modifications. Another option would be to use the CSV Bulk loader.

Thanks,
James