pirk-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Pirk 0.2.0-incubating Release
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 12:53:16 GMT
On 06/10/16 05:02, Josh Elser wrote:
> +1 (binding)
>
> * L&N good
> * xsums/sigs OK
> * mvn apache-rat:check passes
> * can build from source
>
> Things to look into for next release:
>
> * apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar appears to have way too many LICENSE
> entries (the MIT/BSD licensed stuff doesn't appear to be included).
> Seems like they were meant for the -exe.jar. Probably just
> maven-jar-plugin being a little over-aggressive :)

Yeah, the license entries in the built apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar
come from
apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating/src/main/resources/META-INF/bin-license-notice/
in the release.

The licenses were placed there to avoid confusion in the source release.
 There are plans for how to address the licenses in the binaries (see
below).

> Assorted other thoughts:
>
> For 0.1.0, I remember that there were some JARs also staged, but it
> doesn't look like these ever made it to Maven Central. Are there any
> plans to do this? Not having these JARs in Central may become an
> impediment to adoption.

You will recall that there were a number of problems in getting the
licenses and notice files correct for these binary releases; and the
work to fix it would be "wasted" as the code gets restructured into
Maven modules which handle the l&n files better.

So for the moment, we agreed to only release the source zip, and delay
distributing convenience binaries until after the restructuring.  DarinJ
has put forward a proposed rework that is looking good.

> Reminded me of some docs that I pushed earlier this week specifically
> around this[1]. Having a shaded jars with all the deps is great, as well
> as just the Pirk codebase. One thing that is good to enable people to do
> is to create their own shaded artifact with versions of dependencies
> they want (e.g. Hadoop-2.7.1 instead of 2.7.3).

Yep, the plan is to get there.  As you say, the docs look useful for
those looking to tweak the dependency versions.

> Finally:
>
> I'm also super happy to see an 0.2.0 release without a bit of pestering.
> Great work! :)

+1

Regards,
Tim