pirk-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Draft Podling Report
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2017 13:38:11 GMT
On 28/02/17 16:36, Josh Elser wrote:
> I would reword the following:
>
> "Recently, there has been discussion on the mailing list about retiring
> Pirk (putting it in the attic) for right now"
>
> to be something more like
>
> "A discussion on the mailing list resulted in multiple previous
> contributors agreeing with a mentor suggestion to move Pirk towards
> retirement."
>
> Given Tim and Suneel's contributions to the project, I want to hear back
> from them again before moving forward with the retirement steps. As two
> veterans, I would have confidence that they could continue the podling
> if they so desire.

Apologies for being quiet for the last few weeks.  That has been
personal reasons rather than a lack of interest in Pirk.

I also appreciate the confidence you express that Suneel and I could
continue the podling.

With the greatest of respect to Suneel, I think that would be very
difficult without the original contributors' participation, as they have
the deep background required to validate any proposed changes.  We have
already seen cases where my enthusiastic enhancements have been tempered
by the team's sober reality checks; and this is not the type of system
that can survive rookie errors.  I really appreciate the patient
mentoring offered to me by the community.

If we are destined to loose the full set of initial committers then I
think it is inevitable, and wise, to retire the podling.  I signed up as
a mentor because this is a cool technology.  While I understand the
reasons, I'll be disappointed to see it disappear from the Apache family.

Regards,
Tim