pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: dimensions, justify, and other misc comments
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:55:47 GMT
>(*) Should pivot.wtk.Dimensions/Insets/CornerRadii/Bounds be final and
>immutable?

This is a very good question, and could definitely generate a lot of discussion. Ideally,
they would be implemented as structs, but Java doesn't have structs.

>(*) What does HorizontalAlignment.JUSTIFY and VerticalAlignment.JUSTIFY
>mean?

It means stretch the contents to fill the available space. You are correct that it isn't relevant
to all components. Components that don't support it should throw.

>(*) Why does Renderer#getStyles not return a StyleDictionary?
>seems like it would be nice if Style information was available in a
>generic fashion.

That would tie it tightly to Component, which we didn't want to do.

>(*) TabPane would be more useful if I could set a component on the title
>section of the tab, so I could draw whatever I wanted.

This would probably be best implemented by providing a TabPane.TabRenderer interface, similar
to what we do elsewhere. TabPane.TabPaneAttributes would change to define a single tabData
property (as an Object) instead of separate icon and name properties.

>(*) Component#StyleDictionary should expose methods for getting the
>valid values of an enum property,
>since some methods will take an enum, but will only be valid for some
>subset of the values on that enum (e.g. usage of VerticalAlignment)

Possibly, though this may be better served via documentation. A skin wouldn't be expected
to programmatically provide info on the range of valid float values for a style property,
for example.

>(*) The Component#Attributes mechanism looks fragile.
>What if I want to extend TabPane and add my own attributes?
>It seems like this mechanism could be less fragile and more type-safe by
>hand-coding Maps into the relevant sub-classes.

I wouldn't characterize it as fragile - but it isn't all that pretty, I'll give you that.
I'll have to give some thought to the subclassing question.