pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: JUnit
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:52:43 GMT
>OK, but different Eclipse versions should have different versions of
>JUnit ... is this ok ?

Ideally, they should be the same.

>For tests, should we use the old 3.8.x, or (much) better one of the
>latest 4.x (using annotations, etc) ?

The only JUnit tests we currently have (written by Chris) use JUnit 4. I can't see why we
would use anything earlier than this in the future.

>All contents under test directories would be stripped out from base
>binary jars, and if needed put in dedicated jars, right ?

I imagine the resulting JARs would be the same as we have now.

>In my environments I prefer to point to standard dependency jars
>externally (for example C:\java_lib), and when required set jars in
>the classpath from there, from IDE and from build tools.

That would be option 2 or 3:

http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html

So, we have votes for 1, 2, 3, and 4.  :-)  Anyone else want to chime in?

>For Ant builds the path for JUnit jar could be a key in the
>build.properties file, so anyone could modify it as required by its
>environment.

Not a bad idea (though I might put it in user.properties, whose contents would be expected
to vary from user to user).

>And last, some tests are more visual than logic, and i don't think in
>this case JUnit help too much ... some time ago I've seen other
>Testing framework more UI centric, like FEST for Swing but not only (
>http://code.google.com/p/fest/ , and
>http://docs.codehaus.org/display/FEST/Home ).

Yeah, JUnit won't help there. But it is certainly applicable in other cases.