pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JUnit
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:31:34 GMT
Hi,
> We're considering eliminating junit.jar from SVN and requiring developers to have it
on their classpath. Eclipse has JUnit built in, so this would only impact developers who are
using Ant exclusively to build. JUnit would basically become a baseline requirement, like
the JVM.
OK, but different Eclipse versions should have different versions of
JUnit ... is this ok ?

For tests, should we use the old 3.8.x, or (much) better one of the
latest 4.x (using annotations, etc) ?

All contents under test directories would be stripped out from base
binary jars, and if needed put in dedicated jars, right ?

In my environments I prefer to point to standard dependency jars
externally (for example C:\java_lib), and when required set jars in
the classpath from there, from IDE and from build tools.

For Ant builds the path for JUnit jar could be a key in the
build.properties file, so anyone could modify it as required by its
environment.

And last, some tests are more visual than logic, and i don't think in
this case JUnit help too much ... some time ago I've seen other
Testing framework more UI centric, like FEST for Swing but not only (
http://code.google.com/p/fest/ , and
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/FEST/Home ).

Ok ok, for our needs maybe migrating to JUnit could be enough, but
it's important to see what others do ... for future directions.

What do you think ?

Bye