pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Package names
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:19:12 GMT
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Greg Brown<gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
>>> java and javax are reserved namespaces for platform classes, so I
>>> don't see their relevance here.
>>
>> The relevance is that Pivot's classes are meant to replace many of
>> these
>> platform classes, and should therefore be given equal billing.
>
> Is not relevant. Logger from log4j is meant to replace java's logger
> class. Yet it lives in org.apache.log4j Wicket's Component class is
> meant to replace Swing's Component, JSF's Component, yet it lives in
> org.apache.wicket. This is not relevant.

You are free to consider it irrelevant. We will simply have to
disagree here.

>>> Regarding "outdated"... not using the reversed fully qualified
>>> domain
>>> name was the way old projects named their packages. That is the
>>> outdated variety. Even junit, which is has been around since the
>>> early
>>> days has converted to org.junit.
>>
>> I'm suggesting that the TLD prefix is outdated. I'd much prefer
>> "junit.*" to
>> "org.junit.*", for example.
>
> Personal preference, but TLD is *not* outdated. It is the defacto
> standard. Furthermore, you are now an Apache project. Part of that is
> using the org.apache package name, similar to not using pivot.org, but
> pivot.apache.org.

Again, we will simply have to disagree. It may be a defacto standard,
but it is one that I personally do not like.

>> I understand that this is a minor distinction, but Sun's naming
>> guidelines
>> make any classes not developed by Sun for the java(x).* package
>> seem like
>> second-class citizens.
>
> Nope. That is something you pulled out of your own perception hat.

How is my perception any less valid than yours?

> All projects going through the incubator had to rename their project,
> and I fail to see how pivot is anything more special than say
> "wicket", "jsecurity", "jspwiki", or "empire-db".

Understood. But perhaps I detect a little bit of misplaced pride with
respect to Wicket here? Again, this isn't meant as an affront to
Apache, or Wicket, or any other project. I have never liked the TLD
naming convention and would prefer to do away with it. But it's no so
important that I want to start a religious discussion over it. As far
as I am concerned, we can change it. I'll set up a vote.